Monday, January 7, 2013

O Starry Night {better late than never}

Hold on, wait just a minute, I know you've already packed up your ornaments and you are on to brilliant beginnings in the new year, but if you don't mind re-visiting Christmas for a moment ~ here's a peek at what I was looking at for much of the season.

This year I was asked to contribute to our church's advent decoration by designing and painting two huge panels. I was a little intimidated by the size and public nature of the project and by the challenge of creating art that would edify and not distract worshippers.


I used dark, earthy tones and a simple landscape scene to suggest the various parts of the Christmas story ~ Mary and Joseph traveling all the way to the little town of Bethlehem, the shepherds in the fields, the star seen by the Magi, and peace on earth, goodwill to men.



Each panel measures around 11 x 6 feet. I painted on 1/4 inch hardboard (I think) with valspar paints and purdy brushes. I did a lot of scrambling up and down the ladder and running way back 
to get the big picture view.


  The two panels framed the cross in the front of the sanctuary and were designed 
to transition between our regular Sunday worship services, the children's choir performance, 
and the Christmas concert.





 With help from some talented builder/craftsmen, the structure came together. 
Although it's difficult to see, there were Christmas trees and poinsettias flanking the stage as well.


It has been an honor and a great creative outlet for me to help design and create things at our church over the years. I'm thankful for the chance to contribute.

Now, bring on Adventure Week 2013!

2 comments:

  1. I have thoroughly enjoyed these this Christmas! Had dinner with Melissa tonight and we have plans for an embroidery class that includes you. :) - Ruthie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...