Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Green and White Kitchen

One of the fun things for me about this blog is capturing the look and feel of our home and our life. 
Our kitchen is one of the central places where those two converge most actively
and, therefore, it's one of the toughest for me to capture.


 The pictures above depict the look of our kitchen, but they aren't very true to life. 

 

This one is more the feel and the life part.
So today I'm just going with the look of the kitchen, 
on a rare very clean (for me) day.


 Most of the kitchen was like this when we moved in. 
The main changes we've made have been to add more storage and counter space, 
and to provide some authentic "distressing" (as seen above).
Oh yes, and I "mistreated" the window. Nothing but pins holding that together. 
I'm not even sure the Nester would be proud.


I love the wide farmhouse sink. It's great for soaking linens, 
bathing babies, and holding lots of dirty dishes.

The open shelves are wonderful. It's so easy to put things away and to find what I'm looking for.


The subway tiles help to complete the plain, vintage style. 
Even with open shelves it doesn't end up looking too cluttered ~
partly because the colors and design are so simple, 
and partly because I've tried to limit the dishes to mostly white bone china and glass,
with a little bit of warmth thrown in.

 

It's oddly satisfying to see the china stacked and hung so neatly. 

 

 On the single long shelf I keep a little collection of milk glass vases, 
exclusively acquired from my local Goodwill store.


 The turquoise towels were a discount buy from One King's Lane.


 We had these storage cubbies built in the space above the washer and dryer
in the service porch area which leads out to the backyard. 
The baskets house bulky items, dry goods, and paper products.


 I made the little chalkboard signs with wooden tags I found at Michael's, 
painted with chalkboard paint and tied to the baskets with twine.


 I also designed and we had built the corner counter, shelf, and pantry cupboard. 
I matched the style of the existing cabinets and ordered identical hardware.


The wine rack was a discount buy from Anthropologie. 
The pendant lights are in keeping with the arts and crafts era in which the house was built.


And there you have it.
Our kitchen ~ the look.

18 comments:

  1. Love! You have such great style Laura. I love everything about your kitchen. Can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I also wanted to ask...how do you post your photos so large. I can't for some reason? Is it a certain template?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Madelyn--find me tonight at AW, let's talk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous!!! I love it all. the wall colors, that sink (drool) and all the lil touches! So pretty all of it!

    You should totally link this post up on some parties!!
    ~Tana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi There, Found you through Funky Junk. Super cute kitchen! I love it. The open shelves instead of cabinets is great. I'd love to do that, but I'm in a rental. : ( ~ Catie

    http://catiescorner2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous!!! I love the open shelving, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely kitchen! Beautiful sink...well everything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found your blog through Just a Girl - and I'm so glad I did! I love your kitchen, it is so charming. And your pictures are beautiful. I'm going to follow so I can come back when I have more time. Nice to 'meet' you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love your kitchen. There is nothing better than white cabinets, open shelving, subway tile and some baskets with chalkboard tags on them. I absolutely love it.
    That farmhouse sink is awesome. Where did you purchase it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your kitchen is charming - I love all of the details like the baskets with the chalkboard tags, the subway tile and the shelving!

    Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What a lovely kitchen! That faucet is gorgeous! What brand & style is it if you don't mind?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your kitchen. So light and airy. I would love to know the brand and style of your kitchen faucet....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all your kind comments! For those of you who are wondering about the faucet--We bought it through a website called Home Perfect. It's a Rohl, single lever Country Kitchen Faucet with metal lever handle and handspray. The model number is A3608LMWS-2.

    The Home Perfect website doesn't show a picture, but you can look at it on the Rohl website. Home Perfect sells it for a considerable discount.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous! I love every detail!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to say that I absolutely adore your kitchen. I want to copy and paste it, and then place it into my house. It's so open and airy! I really love the detailed black brackets underneath the shelves. Also, I love the combo of marble, white subway tile and white cabinets. I tend to find marble lends itself to being kind of cold and stark, but I think you've really made it warm with the decorations and colors! Thanks for sharing you fab kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  16. CAn you tell me what that wall color is? Besides perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your kitchen, could you tell me where you purchased the lights?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...